Monday, June 21, 2010

How do you delete files like host and registry key files?

I use this program to scan my system, STOPzilla, but its just a free trial scan and it says i have spyware as a registry key such as "hklm\software\microsoft\compression" and i have a host file and the location saying "66.98.148.65 auto.search.msn.com" and i was wondering how to delete this problem.



How do you delete files like host and registry key files?nortin



Its a false positive. The hosts entry is just the default search provider for Internet Explorer. STOPzilla is known for alot of ridiculous false positives.It used to contain spyware a few years ago. I hear they stopped distributing spyware, but it's still a mediocre program. I hear the pop-up blocker is the best part of it.



How do you delete files like host and registry key files?pc security



You can edit the Hosts file entries in Notepad. But, just like the Registry, make a full backup of it before you start. Deleting entries is fairly simple, just highlight them, click backspace then Save.



I've never liked popup blockers because they usually stop what's already infecting your computer. Use a firewall, an antivirus and some anti-spyware applications.
You can manually delete the key by going Start %26gt; run %26gt; "regedit"



Then search for the key yourself.



Let me warn you first, be sure to back up your registry before you do anything because your computer may suffer from permanent damages should you try to delete any keys which are necessary for the start up of your computer. If I were you, I won't touch those stuffs. I will probably ignore that spyware that STOPzilla claims it is. Don't trust it!

No comments:

Post a Comment