Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why is my download so slow? Ways to increase speed for a specific task?

I have a 3mb/sec connection, but my downloads are generally running at 150kb/sec, even with all browsers/AIM off. I know some backgroud processes slow down connection, but it shouldn't do so drastically. I am completely spyware and adware and virus free, and am running MS Windows XP. My connection is DSL and the network manager has it at 3mb/sec. So the big question is, why is my full bandwith not being utilized? And is there a way to set priorities for network connections?



Why is my download so slow? Ways to increase speed for a specific task?suzuki



Alright, i calculated your internet to be able to download at 384 kilobytes per second so you're only using half of your speed that you should be able to get.



There are a few possible reasons that your internet is this slow.



It could be that someone is using your network and you don't know that. To fix this, try disabling all wireless networks or secure it and see what happens.



Another reason is that you have a really bad router. I remember i used to download really slowly, like around 100kb/s but when I switched my router to something else, the speed went to normal speed. So you might want to check your router.



One last problem may be that your router is limiting your speed. To fix this, go to Start %26gt; Run %26gt; cmd



type ipconfig and see whats' next to default gateway.

No comments:

Post a Comment